Practical Information

Before departure

  • Visa requirements may apply depending on your nationality. See the website of Foreign Affairs.
  • Healthcare and Insurance 

All foreign students, EEA as well as non-EEA, must have a health insurance and show a proof of insurance at the beginning of their studies. The exact requirements depend on your country of origin. Via your enrolment as a student at EhB, you are automatically insured for the risk of accidents within the domain of EhB and during all school activities. Yet you have to be insured for risks outside EhB as well.

- EU students

EU students should not forget to bring their own (blue) European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This free card - provided by your national health insurance provider -  gives you access to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare during your Eramus stay in Brussels, under the same conditions and at the same cost that apply to Belgian citizens.

- Non-EU students

Self-sufficient students, or students with a scholarship that does not include health insurance, must take out health insurance. With your proof of registration, you can take out health insurance with the insurance company of your choice.
 When you take out (extra) insurance, you will be obliged to pay a contribution. Depending on your personal situation, there are two possibilities:
- You take out an insurance as a student: this option is mainly intended for students who are studying in Belgium for a short period of time. You must obtain a certificate from your institution stating that you are enrolled in a programme of study.
- Insurance enrolment as a 'resident of Belgium': most students can enrol as a resident. Condition: you must have a (temporary) Belgian foreigner's card.

  • Tuition Cost

    Tuition costs vary, depending on if you're an EEA or non-EEA citizen. Find out more about the prices here.
  • Housing options
    • International Student House Van Orley
    • If you want to look for a room on the private market, Brik are experienced in finding housing (a "kot") for international students. They're also a helpful source for the practical side of things: see their page on preparing to move to Brussels and also their handy search engine for finding a student room in Brussels.
  • Travelling


During your stay

  • Immigration and registration
    If you will be staying in Belgium for more than 3 months, consult the Immigration service for any additional modalities. Register with the municipality in which you will be staying. The Brussels region is subdivided into 19 municipalities.


  • Academic calendar (2024-2025)

Fall semester: September 23, 2024 – January 31, 2025

  • Survival Dutch(*): September 9 - September 19, 2024
  • EhB Welcome Days: September 19 and 20, 2024
  • Fall holidays: October 28 – November 3, 2024
  • Winter holidays: December 23, 2024 - January 5, 2025
  • Exam period: January 6 - January 31, 2025

(*) We strongly recommend students coming in the fall semester to participate in the Survival Dutch course.

Spring semester: February 10 – June 30, 2025

  • Welcome Day: February 7, 2025
  • Course period: February 10 - May 30, 2025
  • Spring holidays: April 7 – April 20, 2025 
  • Exam period: June 2 - June 30, 2025